Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Statement Necklace

This last March something in J Crew's catalog really caught my eye. An amazing artist Molly Carey was features wearing this one of a kind necklace she had made. I fell in love! I had to have it. But Alas it was not to be, it was not for sale and her other 2 or three necklaces that were for sale were around $500.00.

Than I started looking for something similar all around. I tried Etsy first but they were mostly fabric and yarn flowers.  Than I just serched everywhere and Neman Marcus had the closest thing. Here are some of the closest examples I found... and the insane prices that they cost.

$550.00
$990.00
Then I decided that with some old grandmother brooches and broken earrings I could make something myself. This is what I have come up with. I was also able to have a fabulous girls night where we got to play and make some too.

Side by Side Comparison



Not bad.

11 comments:

Mom said...

Gorgeous. I bet people try to buy them right off of you. There must be tons of those grandmother brooches out in the world. And they look truly amazing when used like that. But any endeavor you do is pretty amazing.

julieb said...

those are soooo cute! im totally impressed, and want to make one. plus my mom sister and i are taking a trip to san jose the second week in july, so lets plan a girls craft hang out night

The Quinones Family said...

You are so talented Anne!! Can I ask where you found all the broaches, etc. to make them? :) You come up with the best crafty ideas!

Anne said...

Julie, Let's totally hang out I would love that!

Cindy, I had some of the broaches already and I got some of them on ebay. They go for pretty cheap. Also I mounted it on plastic (you know those plastic disposable cutting boards) and hot glued fabric, brooches, beads and them ribbon to put it all together. I'm glad you like them.

Andy said...

Love this post. Glad you found the JCrew pic. Someday YOU will be in a catalog; mark my words!

Emily Gillrie said...

I am totally obsessed!!! I really want one. WHat do I have to do to get one...maybe turn 21!

Super B said...

I am on board with everyone else. They are gorgeous, soooo cute and I agree that you will be in J.Crew someday. I am going to bookmark this post and add it to my ever-growing list of to-do projects. (Of course, by the time I get around to it, they will probably be out of style.) You are amazing!!

Sara Jensen said...

Wow!!!! I LOVE these!!!! They are so gorgeous! What an amazing talent you have! You could market those and make a killing! I bet you would love this site with Stuff from a Rexburg girl:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/missrubysue

Cassandra said...

Do you even KNOW how obsessed I've been with huge necklaces?!? I've been looking for one all over the place that doesn't cost $$$$!! You are genius to make our own!! *snaps* Anne! Thanks for the idea and the tips. You can be sure this UT girl is on her way to making one! yay!!! xoxo Cassi

katie hanson said...

wow, those turned out really well! i can't wait to try :) maybe you could post a tutorial?

i found your blog through opps, i craft my pants' sponsors page :)

Diana Hulme said...

GORGEOUS. Love them.